Alice Harn Park is in the 1500 block of Classen Drive, just west of 13 th Street and
Shartel Avenue. The land was donated to the City by Alice Harn and William Fremont Harn in 1910, with the intention that it would be a gift to the children of Oklahoma City. The park is a green belt that is a long strip with two circular ends—it has been described as having the shape of a barbell. On the north side of the wall, a circular stone strip forms a garden area. The park has no playground equipment or picnic tables; it is simple and natural, with a large open grass area, encircled by trees. At the southeast end of the park, a native stone wall, with a bench area accessed by wide two-tiered stone steps, was constructed by the WPA.
Another special feature of Harn Park, also at the south end, is the sculpture known as “Indian Boy With Rabbit.” It was created by renowned University of Oklahoma sculptor and professor, Joe Taylor, and donated to the city by the Oklahoma Art League in 1955. The statue, intended to honor the plains Indians of Oklahoma, was inspired by a traditional Native story of a twelve-year-old boy who fearlessly protected a frightened rabbit from a hungry wolf. Originally displayed in O’Neil Park, Heritage Hills provided funds to restore the sculpture in 2003, and it has since been located in the present Harn Park location.
William Fremont Harn was an important real estate developer in early Oklahoma City. His wife, Alice Harn, was a civic leader in her own right, active in the arts and in beautification efforts in the city. Alice Harn died in 1931, but the park remains in its original design, as a peaceful place of nature more than 100 years after it was gifted.